Car painting requires a lot of precision; Masking tape is a must-have tool when painting your car. Continue reading to learn about the best tape to use on car paint.
If you happen to visit a garage, you will discover that the artisans use all sorts of tools when working on car paintwork to achieve accurate results. Now, there are many types of tapes you can use on car paint, however, experts advise against using a standard painter’s tape on car paint.
The tape you decide to use on your car paint has to meet the automotive standards. So, how will you get to choose the best tape to use on car paint from several varieties available in the market? In this article, we have crafted a list of the two best paints to use on car paint; we carried out extensive research on these paints in addition to expert views and customer feedback to give you reliable content.
- 1 Who Needs This Product?
- 2 What Do Readers Will Learn?
- 3 Top 2 Best Tapes To Use On Car Paint-2021s
- 3.1 1. 3M 6654 Yellow 36 mm x 55 m 06654 Automotive Refinish Masking Tape-36 mm: Best for general bodyworks
- 3.2 2. Lichamp 5-Pack Automotive Refinish Masking Tape Yellow 36mm x 55m, Cars Vehicles Auto Body Paint Tape, Automotive Painters Tape Bulk Set 1.4-inch x 180-foot x 5 Rolls: Best for general car repairs
- 4 Top 2 Best Tapes To Use On Car Paint: Buying Guide
- 5 5 features to look for in car masking tapes
- 6 Safety aspects of automotive tape
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Conclusion
Who Needs This Product?
Whether you are a do-it-yourself person or a professional painter, learning a few tips regarding car painting and the supplies needed will not do you any harm. Knowing basic tricks on how to buy high-quality tools and supplies for your project is invaluable. At a given point, in your project, you will need masking tape to use on your car paint, so you should strive to know more about this product.
What Do Readers Will Learn?
Well, if you intend to do a clean piece of paintwork, then this article is for you. The information we are sharing in this article will come in handy in your next project. You will learn insightful knowledge about the best tape to use on car paint and a detailed buyer’s guide to help you make a well-thought buying decision.
Top 2 Best Tapes To Use On Car Paint-2021s
Sometimes, you may decide to spray paint on your car all by yourself. However, you are likely to encounter a ton of challenges if you are not well equipped. Before you start your painting project, it would be best to consider having all the necessary supplies if you want excellent results. Here is a list of 2021s top two best tapes to use on car paint.
1. 3M 6654 Yellow 36 mm x 55 m 06654 Automotive Refinish Masking Tape-36 mm: Best for general bodyworks
From our research, we can confidently recommend 1.3M 6654 Yellow 36 mm x 55 m 06654 Automotive Refinish Masking Tape-36 mm owing to its many features.
- 3M 06654 Automotive Refinish Masking Tape easily conforms to the surface.
- It produces excellent paint lines on the surface.
- This product offers you excellent bonding properties for better results.
- If you apply this product on your project,chances of paint chipping will be greatly minimized.
- This product minimizes the effect of wrinkles with your paintwork.
The product adds extra durability on your paintwork because it does not cause any damage to the original paint of the car.
- 3M 06654 Automotive Refinish Masking Tapecan be removed easily from the surface.
- It is best for both indoor and outdoor painting projects.
- It has easy application procedures.
- It enables you to achieve smooth finish lines with your paintwork.
- You can be assured of better results due to its excellent sticking properties.
- The aspect of strength and durability allows you to get the best results with your paintwork.
- The product comes in two colors only.
Reason to Buy
From our research, we can confidently recommend 1.3M 6654 Yellow 36 mm x 55 m 06654 Automotive Refinish Masking Tape-36 mm owing to its many features. The tape has excellent sticking properties that allow you to remove it from your car’s surface without damaging the paintwork.
2. Lichamp 5-Pack Automotive Refinish Masking Tape Yellow 36mm x 55m, Cars Vehicles Auto Body Paint Tape, Automotive Painters Tape Bulk Set 1.4-inch x 180-foot x 5 Rolls: Best for general car repairs
This is one of the top-rated masking tapes in the market. Le champ Automotive Refining Masking Tape Yellow crepe paper masking tape that is generally designed for excellence in all general masking applications in the collision repair industry (cars, trucks, other special vehicles) for paint masking. Let us examine some of its features below:
- Lichamp 5-Pack Automotive Refinish Masking Tapehas excellent adhesive properties.
- It is resistant to liquid substances.
- It has multiple surface applications.
- The tape is pretty easy to remove; You do not need complicated procedures to remove it.
- You can use it on most materials with excellent results.
- Lichamp 5-Pack Automotive Refinish Masking Tapeworks excellently against moisture and liquid materials to give you better results.
- It has easy removal procedures, so you don’t damage your paintwork.
- It sticks excellently on your preferred surface for better results.
- It is flexible enough to fit most curves and contours.
- You can easily tear it by hand.
- The product is scarce in the market.
Reason to buy
Are you looking for an all-purpose masking tape to use on your car paint? Look no further because Lichamp 5-Pack Automotive Refinish Masking Tape Yellow 36mm x 55m, Cars Vehicles Auto Body Paint Tape, Automotive Painters Tape Bulk Set 1.4-inch x 180-foot x 5 Rolls has all the features you need for a clean finish on your paintwork.
Top 2 Best Tapes To Use On Car Paint: Buying Guide
A lot of input is required if you want to get a professionally painted car. Apart from ensuring that you have the correct supplies, it is crucial to know what to look for when buying your supplies. A masking tape is an essential tool in the car painting process. Below, we discuss some of the critical aspects of car masking tape to consider when shipping for a masking tape.
5 features to look for in car masking tapes
Let us walk you through the five key features of a good automotive car tape.
Ability to withstand temperature
Your preferred tape must have the ability to withstand extreme temperatures. The implication here is that tape you decide to buy should not come off easily even under high temperatures for better results.
The tape should be easy to remove
When you use tape on car paint, it should not pose any problems whenever you are trying to get it off the surface. Your preferred tape should have excellent sticking properties so that it comes off easily without damaging your paintwork.
Easy to tear with hands
The product you finally decide to buy should not have a complicated removal process. A good tape should be easy to remove with your bare hands. You can only know that you have the best tape for use on car paint if you can break it easily with your hands
The bodywork of your car consists of flat and raised parts; You may find it hard to apply your tape on this kind of surface. Nevertheless, the best quality tape should be flexible enough for ease of application.
Ability to work with all paint types
Last but not least, you should be able to use your tape with several brands of paint. You don’t want to buy a tape that is only suitable for use with only one paint as this might be costly. To get such a tape, be sure to consider a tape with excellent adhesive properties.
Safety aspects of automotive tape
It is common knowledge that safety comes first with any painting project. In this context, it would be best to learn all there is to know regarding the safety aspects when using automotive tape. Here are some of the basic safety considerations:
Most masking tapes are prone to various environmental factors if not stored properly. Be sure to store your tapes away from the sun and humid conditions if you intend to achieve the best results with your product.
Note that harmful ultraviolet rays emitted by the sun will disintegrate the chemical composition of your tape, so be sure to keep it away from direct exposure to the sun. It would be better to store them in a dry environment to maintain their efficacy.
Store your tapes under cooler conditions
We have discovered that environmental conditions may greatly affect the efficacy of your tape; So, how are they supposed to store it? Well, experts recommend that your tape should be stored in cooler environments to make them more efficient. A slightly cooler temperature below room temperature is appropriate.
Concerning humidity, humid conditions equally affect your tape, so striking a balance between dry and cooler temperatures is essential to keep your masking tape in good shape for your next project. Note that humid conditions will facilitate active components in your masking tape thereby reducing its effectiveness.
Always Keep your tape dry
One way to make your masking tapes more durable is to ensure they are dry. They should not be allowed to catch wetness as this will lower their efficiency. Because masking tape is a combination of active compounds, any slight wetness Will trigger a reaction.
Reusing your masking tape
Do not let any of your tapes go to waste. It would be better if you devised a method to reuse your tape instead of throwing it away altogether. Be sure to use older tapes thoroughly before using new ones; this will also help you to save on costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Unlike other painting projects, car painting is a bit complicated, so it requires specialized skills to achieve flawless results. Whether you want to do the car paint on your own or hire a professional, you will always be faced with questions about the car painting niche. Below is a well-crafted list of commonly asked questions and possible answers.
Question: Which tape is safe for use on car paint?
Answer: With the many brands now in the market, it might be hard for you to pinpoint the best ape to use. However, Blue Painter’s tape can do you the trick although it is a bit expensive. This tape has excellent properties to give you an excellent finish.
Question: What effect does a tape have on car paint?
Answer: To get the best results with your tape, it would be better if you can understand how to remove it and for how long it should be left on car paint.
Question: What type of tape is suitable for use on a car?
Answer: Electrical tape happens to be the most preferred tape for use on car paint. This tape has a ton of features that make it a good pick by professional painters.
Question: Is it advisable to tape before painting?
Answer: When you embark on painting your car, your primary focus is to achieve tidy work. You won’t want to mess with your paintwork. Be sure to mask all parts you do not intend to paint using suitable tape for a clean and tidy job.
As much as painting your car requires paying attention for the best results, using masking tape is an equally important aspect of car paint. Now, buying the correct tape is a bit of a challenge if you are clueless about what you are looking for. The fact that the market is flooded with many brands makes the exercise even harder.
We have highlighted some of the features to look for while shopping for the best paint to use on your car paint. Note that the contents we have shared in this article are a result of careful and intensive research so you can rely on it to buy the best tape to use on your car paint. Please, read through the whole article to understand all the tips properly.