Metal doors are currently popular due to their high level of durability and protection. However, both new and old installations have the potential of quickly looking old and unattractive if they are not painted. So, what’s the best paint for a metal door? Good paint should generally be durable, safe to use, and environmentally friendly. This review highlights some of the top picks on the market, but first, let’s take a look at who needs to use the paints.
- 1 Who Needs These Products?
- 2 The Top 11 Best Paint for Metal Door
- 2.1 1. Modern Masters 275266 Front Door Paint: Best Paint for Interior/Exterior Metal
- 2.2 2. Rust-Oleum Cranberry Door Paint: Ultimate Durability
- 2.3 3. The One Paint – Matte Finish: Best Versatile Paint
- 2.4 4. Rust-Oleum 239108 Professional Enamel Paint: The Best for High-Performance Enamel
- 2.5 5. Rust-Oleum 253600 Metallic Accents: Best for Elegant Finish
- 2.6 6. Majic Paints 8-9403-2: Best Repurpose Paint
- 2.7 7. Rust-Oleum 7786502: Best for Protective Enamel
- 2.8 8. Rust-Oleum 329207: Best Chalked Ultra Matte Paint
- 2.9 9. Krylon K08990000 Supermaxx: Best All-in-One Spray Paint
- 2.10 10. Rust-Oleum 7212830-6 PK: Best Paint for Hiding Surface Imperfections
- 2.11 11. Rust-Oleum 7587838 Spray Paint: Best Paint for Quick Touch
- 3 Testing and Selecting the Best Metal Door Paint
- 4 things To Consider Before Chooseing the Best Paint for Metal Door
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
Who Needs These Products?
These metal paint products can be used by anyone who is interested in DIY projects, especially those that love décor. Besides that, the paints are ideal for professional and commercial use since they fit different setups including industries and offices. So, professional painters can use them as well.
The Top 11 Best Paint for Metal Door
There are many types of paint products that are ideal for metal doors. However, the top paints for the metal doors in our review feature brands from Rust-Oleum, Modern Masters, and Majic paints, etc. You will find the detailed reviews for the top 11 best Paint for Metal Doors on the following for making the right decision:
1. Modern Masters 275266 Front Door Paint: Best Paint for Interior/Exterior Metal
This Modern Masters product is the top-rated best paint for metal doors. It’s been crafted and manufactured to meet the user demands of premium and effective paint products. It’s ideal to apply to the interior or exterior metallic parts such as doors.
The water-based formula provides long-lasting durability. It can effectively withstand the elements of weather without wearing out. This is high-quality paint that will easily transform the appearance of your home within just a few hours.
It’s available in a wide range of colors to choose from including trending and vibrant options. Made with the never-fade paint technology, this paint can last for years without its vibrancy changing. Note that this is a fast-drying formula that allows for easy and quick door transformation. For easier maintenance, this Modern Masters paint usually comes with a smooth satin finish.
- Ideal for exterior and interior metallic door
- Provides a smooth satin finish that’s easy to maintain
- A water-based formula that offers long-lasting durability
- Made with never-fade technology that ensures metallic surfaces remain beautiful for years
- Available in a wide range of expressive colors
- Suitable for quick project completion with a 2-coat application process
2. Rust-Oleum Cranberry Door Paint: Ultimate Durability
This is a uniquely made pain that’s ideal for a metal door. The oil paint type is the king of ultimate transformation. Rust-Oleum. You only need to apply one coat of paint to your door for great results. The pain usually dries up quickly and, therefore, you can close or mount your door almost instantly.
This is a stunning beauty that provides long-lasting protection. It’s also available in a wide range of colors. It stops rust and will easily turn your door into an impressive masterpiece. It’s normally used to revitalize old doors or to protect the new and plain doors. For lasting results, Rust-Oleum door paint provides great resistance to chipping, fading, and abrasion.
- Corrosion and weather resistant-coating that protects the interior or exterior of a metal
- The paint dries to touch with 1 to 2 hours
- Satin-finish that offers a metal door a whole new low-sheen appearance
- The oil-based formula is effective in providing a long-lasting protective coating while offering rust protection
- Highly resistant to chipping, fading, and abrasion
3. The One Paint – Matte Finish: Best Versatile Paint
The matte finish is highly popular in the paint industry. The One is a top-rated product that’s highly versatile and it’s the best paint for the metal doors that offers flexibility. It’s known as one because it features a combination of paint and primer. Overall, it’s an all-in-one solution that allows you to effortlessly paint without spending extra money on buying undercoats. It’s the ideal paint solution for not only builders but also professional decorators.
The One is luxuriously thick. To achieve the perfect coverage, the opaque formula simply allows you one coat. With this, you are guaranteed a high-quality finish, something that a lot of painting products don’t offer.
The water-based formula is made with low VOCs. This makes it environmentally friendly and safe to use. Besides that, it’s quite easy to clean, you just need warm soapy water to remove any residue. You can work with one matte in different colors. The brain features a rainbow of options, ranging from bright to dark.
- A blend of primer and paint in ONE.
- Eliminates the need to use undercoats hence helps to save time, money, and application effort.
- Environmentally-friendly and water-based paint with low levels of VOCs.
- Quick-drying paint that’s easy to clean up with warm soapy water
- A thick and opaque formula that’s available in a broad range of options
- Ideal for interior and exterior surfaces such as door
4. Rust-Oleum 239108 Professional Enamel Paint: The Best for High-Performance Enamel
This is the best paint for a metal door that offers a high level of enamel performance. Rust-Oleum Professional is suitable for ferrous and non-ferrous types of metals. It provides excellent rust protection and also offers a tough and attractive finish. This is because it withstands weathering.
Despite being exposed to different elements of weather, this is a high-quality formula that can easily withstand the test of time. It’s oil-based and maintains a consistent response to corrosion caused by different factors.
Its semi-gloss finish usually provides a subtle and attractive glow on metallic surfaces. Designed for professional use, the spray paint is suitable for commercial use and in industrial settings. It offers an excellent cover and quickly dries to touch within 15 minutes.
- Ideal for ferrous and non-ferrous metal
- Has a semi-gloss finish that provides a sweet subtle glow on different surfaces
- Ideal for use in heavy and demanding environments
- The high-performance enamel can withstand the harsh elements of weather
- Can effectively cover up to 14 sq ft. and dries to touch with 15 minutes.
5. Rust-Oleum 253600 Metallic Accents: Best for Elegant Finish
Rust-Oleum 253600 is a luxurious paint that normally offers an elegant metallic finish. Its real power lies in the way it transforms doors easily and quickly. Well, this is because it has been designed for an easier one-step application.
The water-based has a low level of odor. So, you don’t have to worry about it interfering with your indoor setting. The elegant metallic accents usually add a decorative touch to the interior or exterior doors. Its high level of performance is promoted by the mica beads that add an attractive metallic finish.
This Rust-Oleum product features a simple one-step application process. For efficiency, you can quickly clean it with soap and water. It normally leaves a rich and iridescent type of finish that will always shimmer when it’s accented by light.
- Low-odor and water-based formula
- Features mica beads that provide the elegant metallic paint finish
- The pain can effectively cover up to 105 sq. ft. and dries up to touch within 30 minutes
- It’s used to add a decorative touch on both interior and exterior door
- Used to create a rich and iridescent type of finish
6. Majic Paints 8-9403-2: Best Repurpose Paint
Are you keen on repurposing your metallic door? Well, this product by Majic can do a good job. It normally provides an acrylic satin type of finish and it’s ideal for use with interior or exterior doors. It’s highly versatile and sticks to any metallic surface without priming or sanding.
The Diamond Hard Repurpose Paint is highly versatile compared to chalk paint. It allows you to stretch your creative capabilities by providing a superior type of color retention. Its levels of finish are not only beautiful but also smooth.
- Highly flexible paint that’s ideal for repurposing metallic door
- Suitable for DIY projects that involve metals and other types of materials
- Provides a superior type of color retention. Its levels of finish are smooth and beautiful satin
- Easy to apply on any surface because it sticks and doesn’t result in priming or sanding
7. Rust-Oleum 7786502: Best for Protective Enamel
This is the best paint for a metal door that has a superior level of quality and premium durability. It’s renowned for its effectiveness in offering enamel protection. Formulated by Rust-Oleum, 7786502 guarantees the best possible results from a paint job.
The rust protective enamel product usually provides a long-lasting solution. Besides that, it’s a beauty that’s available in a wide range of colors as well as finishes. Applying it to your metallic door offers an excellent level of coverage, color retention, and chip resistance. Note that if you want even longer paint protection, you need to first use the Stops Rust Primer
The fade and rust-resistant product normally resists peeling, chipping, and cracking. It’s ideal for both interior and external use because it can withstand all the elements of weather. Overall, it’s a high-quality paint that gives you premium results without sacrificing its durability.
- Oil-based paint that stops rusting and offers enamel protection
- Corrosion and weather-resistant protective coating that protects interior and exterior surfaces
- Dries to touch within 2 to 4 hours and can cover up to 90 square feet
- Offers a fresh shine and produces a glossy, semi-glossy, or a flat finish
- Excellent against chipping, abrasion, and fading
8. Rust-Oleum 329207: Best Chalked Ultra Matte Paint
There is no doubt that Rust-Oleum is one of the top brands that offer the best paint for metal doors. Its wide range of formulations including the 329207 is ideal for use with different types of metal doors.
This product is known to give a refreshingly new appearance, especially if you want to use chalked paint. Its soft and matte chalky finish produces excellent results on different types of surfaces including metal.
It’s suitable for providing customized results and distinct styles. You can easily use this paint to create an aged or chippy look. Alternatively, it works best to create a vintage appearance. Rust-Oleum 329207offers superior coverage while its application is easy.
Generally, it offers excellent adhesion and it dries to touch in 30 minutes. One coat of this paint usually allows projects to be completed easily and it can cover a space of up to 150 square feet. This is an environmentally friendly product with a low odor.
- Ultra matte chalky paint that’s ideal for use on metal doors
- One-coat coverage with a chalky smooth finish
- The environmentally-friendly low-odor formula that’s easy to clean up with just soap and water
- latex formula that dries to touch in 30 minutes and can cover a one-coat space of up to 150 square feet
- Great adhesion, minimal preparation, and easier application
- An odor-free product that quickly dries to produce a velvety ultra-matte smooth finish
9. Krylon K08990000 Supermaxx: Best All-in-One Spray Paint
Krylon Supermaxx is the best paint for metal doors that offers an all-in-one solution. It’s ideal for metal doors as well as other surfaces such as vinyl and wicker.
The gold enamel spray paint usually bonds easily to hard surfaces and adheres to them. It’s known to have a superior level of adhesion and this guarantees improved durability. The metal paint offers maximum rust protection while providing a glossy finish that doesn’t require priming or sanding.
The product is a combination of paint plus primer. This creates a versatile blend that’s easy and flexible to use. With its super-bond technology, this product is ideal for outdoor use. It offers maximum protection against the elements of weather and other abrasive effects.
- Super bond technology that effectively withstands friction, corrosion, and abrasion
- Environmentally-friendly and can withstand the harsh elements of weather
- No sanding or priming required
- Offers maximum rust protection with its superior durability and adhesion
- The gold enamel spray paint produces a glossy finish.
10. Rust-Oleum 7212830-6 PK: Best Paint for Hiding Surface Imperfections
Are you looking for paint that can effectively cover your metal door and cover any surface imperfection? Well, this Rust-Oleum product has been uniquely designed to ensure that you have an attractive door that’s evenly covered. It’s the best paint for a metal door that needs even coverage.
The rust-hammered product is made with protective enamel. It offers a superior level of durability and great overall coverage. This is a highly durable product that provides a high level of quality without compromising on its color delivery and durability.
Rust-Oleum is used to hide imperfections and flaws on metal doors that are rusted, scratched, or have pitted metals. For ease of use, simply apply it directly over the surfaces. Note that it features the “any-angle technology”. This means that you can use the paint to reach some of the most difficult areas on your door, especially the edges. It comes with a comfortable upside-down tip in addition to a wider finger pad. A combination of these two features helps to significantly reduce the fatigue that comes with continuous spraying.
- Weather and corrosion-resistant paint coating that protects exterior and interior door surfaces
- An oil-based formula that provides a long-lasting protective coating with great rust-resistant feature
- Offers excellent resistance to chipping, abrasion, and fading.
- The paint dries to touch within 2 to 4 hours and can effectively cover up to 15 sq. ft.
- Has a hammered metal finish that minimizes surface imperfections
11. Rust-Oleum 7587838 Spray Paint: Best Paint for Quick Touch
This Rust-Oleum product quickly dries up to touch within 15 minutes. It should be noted that the recoats dry within an hour and this certainly offers a high level of quick project completion.
The high-performance paint that’s ideal for ferrous and non-ferrous metal doors is great in offering rust protection. While it quickly dries out, it also spreads evenly to offer a tough, durable, and attractive type of finish. As a result, the paint can withstand weathering.
This oil-based premium paint contains a high-quality formula that maintains a consistent cover. Regardless of corrosion and abrasion or UV lights, it doesn’t fade or lose its sparkle since it’s ideal for lasting use.
This spray paint can cover up to 14 sq ft. and it’s normally used for commercial purposes, especially in industrial plants. With its high output tip, you can conveniently spray the paint at any angle. Its glossy finish makes everything attractive, especially in a demanding environment.
- Quickly dries up to touch in 15 minutes and then the recoat within an hour
- The oil-based formula that’s resistant to corrosion and fading
- Provides a glossy finish and can effectively withstand heavy-use environments such as industries
- High-performance enamel that offers a tough and attractive solution
Testing and Selecting the Best Metal Door Paint
There is a wide range of paint products for metal doors on the market. So, it’s important to verify the effectiveness of these products before they are used. To ensure that they are of high quality, our selection process for testing was mainly based on customer reviews.
Generally, these products received high levels of positive feedbacks from users. This is a good indicator that they definitely offer value for money. Another way of determining if these products were effective is by checking the product label and what the manufacturer says. The best paints are usually environmentally friendly and they contain a blend of quality ingredients that guarantee users lasting solutions.
things To Consider Before Chooseing the Best Paint for Metal Door
There are many types of paints designed for metal doors. However, not all of them are safe and effective. If you want to buy a high-quality product, here are some of the things to consider:
Good paint should be able to withstand rust. Some of the best products that are rust-resistant are usually water-based or oil-based. In terms of superiority, oil-based products are the most ideal in creating rust-free surfaces.
Ease of Use
The painting and cleaning up process should take you just a few minutes. So, choose a product that requires minimal preparation. It should be easier to use it without prior experience.
The Drying Time
Sometimes you may be forced to remove the whole metal door before you can fully paint it. In such a case. You need a type of paint that has a faster drying time. Ideally, it should be just a couple of hours. However, we have paints that simply take 15 minutes. Note that the faster the drying time, the quicker it becomes to finish up projects.
Generally, water-based paints usually have the shortest drying time compared to oil-based paints. In some instances, it might take up to 4 hours for the oil to dry and there are multiple coats underneath, then the curing process might need several more days. However, the most feasible option for you in this case strictly depends on your needs and preferences.
The stronger the paint coating, the more ideal it is in offering value for money. If you are looking for highly durable paint, then you should consider choosing an oil-based option. Water-based paint is still great since they have excellent bonding abilities.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long A Newly Painted Metal Door Does Take to Dry?
Answer: It All depends on the type of paint if you choose. Spray paints are generally good for quick DIY projects. Some of them take up to 15 minutes to dry. Meanwhile, thick paints can take up to 4 hours to dry.
Do I Need to Clean the Surface to Paint?
Answer: Yes, it’s good to clean the metal surface before you can start to paint, especially if you want great results. Remove any form of dust or rust using sandpaper or just wipe it clean. In some instances, you might be required to use grease or a primer before you can paint
With metal doors gaining more popularity, it’s important to find a way to maintain and make them attractive. Painting is definitely important for promoting the durability of these doors and also improving their appearance. Though there are many products on the market, the above-reviewed products are the best for use with metal doors.
Modern Masters 275266, Rust-Oleum Cranberry, and The One Paint –Matte Finish make up the top three best paint for metal doors. They are premium products that produce beautiful décor and are highly durable.