Looking for a way to amp your furniture? Read the in-depth guide on the best chalk paint for furniture to equip you with all the knowledge.
Whether you are a professional painter or a DIY junkie like me, you can never go wrong with the convenience of chalk paint that makes it effortless to paint surfaces for that ever-needed farmhouse chic look. But that’s not even the best part.
It is one of the very few paint types that allows you to directly apply the formula on the surface without needing to strip or sand the original paint for best results. This makes chalk paint an obvious choice for beginners who don’t want to mess around with different applications and carry out the process for a day, if not weeks.
- 1 Who Needs This Product?
- 2 What Readers Will Get Ahead
- 3 7 Best Chalk Paint for Furniture
- 3.1 1. Renaissance DIY, 16 oz (Pint) – Best Overall
- 3.2 2. KILZ 4804 Interior Chalk Style Ultra Flat – Best for Indoor Purposes
- 3.3 3. Rust-Oleum 285140 Ultra Matte – Best for Coverage
- 3.4 4. Renaissance Deluxe Starter Kit – Best for Art and Craft Projects
- 3.5 5. FolkArt Home Decor Ultra Matte Chalk Finish – Best for Beginners
- 3.6 6. KILZ L540746 Chalk Spray Paint – Best for Thin Paints
- 3.7 7. Rust-Oleum 302595 Chalked Paint Spray – Best in Effectiveness
- 4 Best Chalk Paint For Furniture Buyers Guide And Things to Consider Before Buying
- 5 Preventive Measures That You Should Take Before Buying Or Applying Chalk Paint on Furniture
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
- 6.1 Is it necessary to sand furniture before using chalk paint?
- 6.2 Does chalk paint scratch easily?
- 6.3 Are you supposed to seal chalk paint?
- 6.4 What are the benefits I can get by using chalk paint on furniture?
- 6.5 What’s trending in painted furniture?
- 6.6 What is known as the best topcoat for chalk paint?
- 7 Conclusion
Who Needs This Product?
Chalk paint is ideal for all kinds of painters, from more experienced ones to first-time paints. Considering how Chalk painting requires a minimum skill set, with a little bit of research, you can equip yourself to have a professional finish on any furniture you prefer.
What Readers Will Get Ahead
Finding the best one in the market can be the most intimation choice you’d ever make. So, here’s a complete guide that breaks down all the concepts, the best chalk paint for furniture, buyer’s guide, and provides a solution to all paint-related problems. So, let’s dive right into it!
You may be interested in Best Paint for Kitchen Cabinets.
7 Best Chalk Paint for Furniture
- Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance DIY, 16 oz (Pint) – Best Overall
- KILZ 4804 Interior Chalk Style Ultra Flat Decorative Paint for Furniture – Best for Indoor Purposes
- Rust-Oleum 285140 Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint – Best for Coverage
- Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance Deluxe Starter Kit – Best for Art and Craft Projects
- FolkArt Home Decor Ultra Matte Chalk Finish Acrylic Craft Paint Set Formulated – Best for Beginners
- KILZ L540746 Chalk Spray Paint for Upcycling Furniture – Best for Thin Paints
- Rust-Oleum 302595 Chalked Paint Spray, 12 oz, Serenity Blue – Best in Effectiveness
1. Renaissance DIY, 16 oz (Pint) – Best Overall
Instead of doing a full house redo, you can count on this highly easy-to-use Retique It Chalk paint to freshen up your cabinets with a pop of color or even go for neutral tones for that ever-needed elegant look. The formula glides on the surface just fine and gives you the freedom to choose from over 4 colors ranging from neutrals to oh so bright ones.
Made in the USA, this paint allows you to prevent scuff and scratches regardless of how many kids you have at home. In addition, it offers superior coverage, which lets you get solid-looking paint in just 1-2 coats. With little prep work, this paint is specially formulated for furniture cabinets and home decor to help give a personal touch to everything you do.
It is an excellent choice for both exterior and interior furniture projects. However, it is recommended for outdoor projects to use a marine finish topcoat like Politique It right before applying the clear wax to help secure the color in place.
That’s not it; it dries within 30 minutes to get you the contemporary finish that you have been longing for. What makes it a great choice for creative DIYers is how the matte finish lets you distress the color (if desired) for that artsy look. As for practicality, it is hypoallergenic with no small, Ultra-low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) and is easy to clean up with just soap and water for added perks.
- You get to have a final look in just 1 to 2 coats.
- It offers a silky, chalky, and smooth finish that feels gentle on the tips of your fingers
- It contains no toxic materials to make it safe for indoor purposes
- The thick and self-level coverage make it a convenient choice to have
One of the many reasons why this paint takes the lead is how much great durability it offers. Weekly parties can expose your furniture to scratches and damages by the guests. However, with this, I still haven’t found any scratches.
At first, it was easy to apply and gave a smooth look in just two coats without the need to smoothen the surface by sanding. The 100% recycling coating in a chalky smooth finish makes it a safe choice with zero emissions for your home.
The paint creates a mess while applying. Also, if you are a newbie, it can be hard to find the ratio of dark to chalk paint to let it spread evenly across the surface.
2. KILZ 4804 Interior Chalk Style Ultra Flat – Best for Indoor Purposes
With 14 different shades, this water-based Chalk paint formula is everything you need to experiment with your furniture. Whether it is the dark tones you love or the bright, refreshing ones, it can add any ascent to your room. Thanks to its smooth application, it wouldn’t be a surprise if you end up painting the entire house with this.
The paint can be used to cover up old or new wood, concrete, glass, wicker, and cast stone for added convenience. Unlike any other type of paint, you don’t have to worry about the surface before painting it. The ultra-matte paint formula can help give chic vibes and offers a durable overall finish. I love this specific chalk paint because it goes on thick and provides unmatched coverage to make this hectic task seamless for you.
However, it is best to make sure the paint goes on clean and dust-free furniture to have a smoother look at the end. You can easily touch the paint after 1 hour and recoat it after 2 hours for your desired finish. Another thing to bear in mind is that the paint is tinted with colorant, so it’s never a bad idea to stir it well before use.
- The ultra-matte texture is ideal for small interior furniture
- Offers x100 coverage to improve convenience
- It comes in 1 quart of paint
- Should only be used for indoor purposes
- Can add character to anything you apply this to
Using the wide array of color options, you can easily add a pop of color to any surface you may like without breaking a sweat. As it is chalk paint, you don’t have to prep the surface besides cleaning it to get the best results. However, what makes it stand above the rest is the overall professional finish that distinguishes this paint from most of the brands out there.
Comparatively to most other chalk paints, this one has slightly thinner formulas which means you may need to go overboard with the layers. In addition, although it offers a wide range of colors, it lacks some of the basic colors for people who are only looking to upcycle their furniture.
3. Rust-Oleum 285140 Ultra Matte – Best for Coverage
Regardless of whatever surface you may have, this Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint has got it all! You can use it on a wide variety of surfaces ranging from canvas, ceramic to metal for that gorgeous vintage look. In addition, the low odor latex formula is easy to clean and dries in just about 30 minutes for an easy application. This is, in fact, one of the best things about Rust-Oleum, as you can finish off the entire project in just a few hours.
It results in zero-emission and still a professional finish. It can cover about 150ft easily, and the one-coat coverage means you can also go ahead with a distressed look to complement the rest of the furniture.
However, according to a few chalk paint experts, it’s best to sand or light scuff high gloss surfaces before application. You can also try 1-3 even coats with 30 minted gaps each. The eight classic colors are everything you need to color your favorite surfaces and make them the statement in the room. It can be used straight right out from the paint can, which means no mixing or stirring is required. In addition to that, the ultra-matte, velvety finish, and excellent adhesion make this Rust-Oleum paint a must-have at home!
- Made for interior purposes only, which makes it a safe choice to have
- The 30 oz can is big enough to cover 150 sq ft of surface area
- It can be a great way to DIY projects and upcycle your furniture.
- It is also available in Chalked Spray and Chalked Glaze to help you get your ideal finish.
If you are looking for ways to rejuvenate your house, nothing can beat this paint in a wide range of colors and textures, giving a Chippy look with slight traces of vintage. You can rest assured that it will stick to any surface like metal, glass, and ceramic.
You can count on the trendy colors to paint your furniture paste and ensure to keep it clean using its easy-to-clean properties and wipe it off using soap and water. If you want a product available in a wide array of color options, this one is your best bet to go.
With this, it’s possible to get a unique look by simply building up the layers. For added protection, count on the Rust-Oleum Chalked Clear Protective Topcoat after the painting application.
The cans came dented for some customers, which led to a mess and overall poor experience. However, this can be prevented by making sure you got the right can and asking for a return/refund if you didn’t.
4. Renaissance Deluxe Starter Kit – Best for Art and Craft Projects
With just 1 to 2 coats of this amazing paint, you can rest assured to have an incredible finish that will last for years. Regardless of how many objects you may have, this Retique It Chalk Furniture can be your companion to make the process more enjoyable for you. Go for 1 to 2 coats depending on the coverage of your surface, and let it dry for up to 30 minutes for a contemporary look.
It can work perfectly well for outdoor and indoor purposes as well a few arts and craft project spots make it your go-to paint for anything you need. It is easy to apply and features a chalky matte finish for the exact look that you are going for. The exceptionally well durability is eco-friendly and safe to do your part for the goodness of the world.
The low odor means it contains zero emissions and can be worked with kids around. Although it is recommended to apply 2 coats, using 1 is usually enough if you manage to get the right application on the first try. In addition, the paint suits people with allergies and VOCs as it’s hypoallergenic to nature, meaning you don’t have to worry about your allergies acting up due to the chemical compounds present in the paint.
The formula is built with a primer, so you don’t have to worry about prepping the layer before going on with the single stroke.
- The zero VOCs makes it safe to use indoors as well as outdoors
- Durable to water
- The thick coat is everything a beginner could want to ace his first paint job
- Virtually no odor
The paint is made up of the highest quality ingredients to make sure you never compromise with the final look of the paint. In fact, the quality is so good that you can easily distinguish Retique It from the rest of the paints out there. This is because they are 100% acrylic coating, it offers only premium quality ingredients.
Although many people enjoyed the entire kit, not many people were fans of the color selection. It can also be slightly more expensive for people who want to paint their furniture under budget.
5. FolkArt Home Decor Ultra Matte Chalk Finish – Best for Beginners
The convenient size of the paint includes 9-2 oz bottles of chalk paint. With a wide array of color options, you can always mix and match to create a masterpiece of your own. The ultra-matte finish, once dry, offers versatile neutral colors with an easy to distress ability for added satisfaction.
Besides that, you can always feel free to use it on different surfaces to give a look you prefer and do an easy clean-up once you are done with the cleaning process. It eliminates one of the most concerning points about chalk paint which is a mess.
The water-based paint creates minimal mess during the application process, easily removed with soap and water. The trusted brand has been known for providing excellent quality paints to suit real experience and skill level.
If you think that’s enough, wait till you find out how the nontoxic creamy consistently is exceptional for blending and shading for an overall professional and smooth look.
- It can be used on any surface interior or exterior furniture
- The 2 Fluid onus is enough to cover large objects
- Known for offering exceptional durability that will last for some solid years
- Easy to apply process is ideal for beginners
The paints dry to an ultra-matte finish in just 30 minutes so you can wrap up the task in no time. You don’t have to prime or sand the surface before the application process for your convenience. Thanks to the vivid colors, you can rest assured to get a refreshing look to your home to complement your house perfectly.
There have been a few complaints about receiving leaky paints which ruined the whole experience with the product. Therefore it is recommended to rigorously look for the right paint before you get it off the box and start painting.
6. KILZ L540746 Chalk Spray Paint – Best for Thin Paints
Need to upcycle your furniture? KILZ Chalk Spray Paint is packed with just the right features that can instantly elevate your house’s appearance. It helps add a personal touch to all the boring furniture and brings out the best of creativity in you.
The quick-drying matte formula can get into the intricate details and is ideal for tiny and valuable furniture. In addition, it can cover both indoor and outdoor projects made up of metal, cast stone, wicker, and metal without adding on extra prep for you.
The coverage rate of this paint spray is 12 sq ft, but this can differ depending on the surface texture, application method, and porosity. If you want to go the extra mile, nothing can be the finished look of paint once you apply the KILZ Clear or Dark Sealing Wax to lock everything in place and enhance appearance.
After the painting application, you can easily use water and soap to clean up the mess and enjoy the new masterpiece that you created in just a few hours.
- The chalk paint dries in an hour, and the next layer can be done in 2 hours
- It covers 100 sq feet per quart
- 12 oz. Aerosol
- It can be used for both interior and exterior purposes
- Offer a matte/flat finish
The comfort tip of this excellent spray prevents finger fatigue. Depending on the surface texture, it can be an ideal application to cover the large surface area without breaking your sweat. Thanks to the spray application, you don’t have to worry about The comfort tip reducing finger fatigue. The coverage rate is 12 sq. ft. per can, depending on the surface texture, porosity, and the way you apply the paint.
This paint is a bit hard to mix when I first tried out paint. Therefore, if you are DIYing it straight out of the bottle, expect to experience the same.
7. Rust-Oleum 302595 Chalked Paint Spray – Best in Effectiveness
If lightning-fast drying paint is your best bet, this Rust-Oleum Chalked spray is all you need. First, it creates a vintage look using a wide range of colors for that gorgeous timeless look. Then, using the thick consistency of the oil-based formula, it hides all the past flows of your furniture.
In 20 minutes, you can rest assured to get a complete look with excellent adhesion and ultra-matte beautiful finish to get your desired look. It covers 12 sq ft, and the outstanding adhesion goes on smoothly with minimal prep.
- The velvety smooth finish is easy to achieve with the spray paint
- Better coverage than most of the paints out there
- You can spray at any angle and still get the best results
- It can be used for interior furniture purposes only
You can easily rejuvenate the look of your house using the refreshing, bold colors and get your room Instagram-ready in just a few hours. It can be used on any surface you have, from ceramic to metal, and still, the best results. In addition, the application is safe to use, so you don’t have to put your health at risk while spraying this on furniture.
Like most spray paints, this one does create more mess than usual, but with a little bit of practice, I think you can learn to paint it without creating a facade at home. Besides that, Some customers review sprays with a clogged tip that makes it difficult to get a smooth finish.
Best Chalk Paint For Furniture Buyers Guide And Things to Consider Before Buying
Now that you are aware of the best chalk paint for furniture available in the market, it’s time you cut through the surface-level information and find out what really works for you. Here are some of the things to consider before you dive in headfirst to buy the best chalk paint for furniture.
Furniture You’re Painting
The furniture or surface you’re painting plays a significant role in deciding which paint suits the best for your purpose. For example, chalk paints are mainly used for decorative purposes and are more quick and easy to apply when compared to other types of paints. However, they are prone to getting dirty and chip, especially when it’s furniture you use frequently.
Thus if you are on the market to look for chalk paint, it’s best you also look into some good wax or polyurethane finish to get a lasting matte finish that is likely to stay with you for as long as you want.
This decides whether it is paintbrushes that are your best friends or spray cans. If you want it quickly to refresh your furniture or perhaps hide flaws in your current furniture, you can never go with spray paints as they are quick, easy, and dry in no time.
They don’t require any sanding and can be nook and corners to cover everything Whereas, paint using brushes give a more professional feel with maximum coverage to cut. They also give long-lasting results.
As we all know that chalk paints are known for their aesthetic benefits. So if you are on the hunt for them, chances are, you are finding ways to elevate the appearance of your house. If this is the case, make sure you are perfectly aware of the colors you want to complement the rest of the furniture AND then decide which paint color would suit your requirements.
The finish isn’t just associated with the look of your paint. It also determines how long your paint is going to last. Gloss paints have a more contemporary feel, while matte ones give a more shabby-chic look to meet your taste. As far as practicality is concerned, glossy or semi-gloss paints are easier to wipe with a wet cloth than chalk finishes.
However, with the use of a topcoat, you can clean any paint without having to worry about smudging it off.
Preventive Measures That You Should Take Before Buying Or Applying Chalk Paint on Furniture
- Before ordering pain, make sure to use a measuring tape to properly measure the surface area you will cover with the paint. For example, if it’s a table, how big is it and how many will you do? It’s best to order all the quality at once instead of waiting for the first bottle/tin to finish before ordering a new one.
- Although prepping isn’t really needed in chalk paint. However, it’s important that the surface is clean and there is no muss or dust to help get a smooth and durable finish.
- To avoid creating a mess, you should lay a large disposable plastic underneath the furniture you are painting.
- The mark of the brush plays a crucial role in covering the tiny corners of the furniture. Here remember the bristles of your paintbrush shoulder be flagged in multiple lengths to form a slim tip. The synthetic ones, which are a mix of nylon and polyester, do wonders in holding the paint really well. However, if you are going for oil-based finishes, it’s best to go for natural bristles.
- Apply masking tape on the areas you don’t want the paint to be but prone to accidents. This can make your process a lot better.
- To properly clean the surfaces of your furniture before painting, try using special cleaning agents like bleaching, soda, and ammonia to do the trick for you.
- A mistake that many beginners make is to only focus on coats, not the texture. This can lead to uneven thickness on larger furniture. Therefore, try to align your strokes with each other. You can also avoid making fat edges where paint’s gloppy cornices form a thick layer on the edges. Finally, make sure your brush is not overloaded and properly cover the edges for an ideal finish.
- The biggest challenge is to create long, straight strokes. To help you do that, breathe out and hold your breath while making a long stroke. Later, you can vibrate your hands a little to cover the uneven and tiny corners.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
Is it necessary to sand furniture before using chalk paint?
No, it is not necessary to sand the furniture before you use chalk paint. However, since it will give you a matte finish, you will get to see each of the flaws accentuating and peeking behind the paint. Therefore, it’s best to clean the surface with cleaning agents before you begin the painting process. Other than that, if you are going over a high gloss surface, a little bit of sanding can help you get that matte finish.
Does chalk paint scratch easily?
If you haven’t sealed your chalk paint properly, you run the chances of scratching it easily. Therefore, the best way to protect your paint and increase its durability is to apply a liquid topcoat once your paint has been completely dried.
Are you supposed to seal chalk paint?
In a nutshell, no protection means your masterpiece is vulnerable to any wear and tear that it may face. If you don’t like the finish of gloss topcoats, go for matte ones to give the desired look on your chalk paint.
What are the benefits I can get by using chalk paint on furniture?
Chalk paint is mainly famous for its rust, vintage, and chic look to give a farmhouse effect to your furniture. However, many people use their artistic flair to give a distressed look and add character to any boring corner of a house. The best part, it takes only a few hours to get your furniture looking Instagram-ready!
What’s trending in painted furniture?
What is known as the best topcoat for chalk paint?
A high-performance topcoat in a flat finish is ideal for preserving your paint’s look, feel, and color. There is no doubt that topcoats are the key to improving the longevity of your chalk paint. However, if you prefer a rather gloss finish, you can go for a thick glaze to create shine and give a contemporary look.
Coming to the end of the guide, as easy as it may look, when applying chalk paint, there are many things that you need to try yourself to see the best results. It is always recommended to use a paint sprayer for thin paints and as for thicker ones, it is best to count on brush paints. It also helps to give a creative layered and rugged feel to help create a vintage look that you’ve been aiming for.
Apart from the tips, chalk paints inevitably breathe life into any worn-out piece of furniture. The visual effects of these chalks allow you to go all-in and go the extra mile to bring the best of your imagination. With a glowing house in bold colors and creative designs, it will surely be the hot topic of every gathering!