Painting rocks is one of the fun yet most challenging tasks for all the painters out there. Here is a complete guide on the best paint for rocks for all the beginners out there.
With a single click, you get exposed to countless types of paints for rock painting. Most of them are excellent paint that can make it daunting to choose the best one. But, unfortunately, there are also terrible ones that can ruin your hours’ worth of effort.
But guess what, this isn’t your headache anymore! With 48+ hours of research and testing, here is a complete guide on the best paint for rocks to make this a no-brainer for you.
- 1 Who Needs This Product?
- 2 What Will Readers Get Ahead?
- 3 The Top 10 Best Paint For Rocks
- 3.1 1. Creativity for Kids Hide & Seek Rock Painting Kit – Best Overall
- 3.2 2. Paint Pens for Rock Painting, Stone, Ceramic, Glass, Wood – Best Versatile
- 3.3 3. JR.WHITE Store Acrylic Paint Pens for Rocks – Best for Durability
- 3.4 4. Uni-posca PC-5M Paint Marker Pen – Medium Point – Best Recommended
- 3.5 5. ARTIQO Paint pens for rock painting – Best for Variety
- 3.6 6. Chalky Crown Acrylic Paint Markers – Acrylic Paint Pens for Rock Painting – Best for Ease of Use
- 3.7 7. TOOLI-ART 30 Acrylic Paint Markers Paint Pens Set 0.7mm Extra Fine Tip Paint Marker
- 3.8 8. ArtShip Design 35 Premium Acrylic Paint Pens, Double Pack of Both Extra Fine and Medium Tip
- 3.9 9. Rock Painting Kit for Kids Ages 4-8 Supplies for Painting Rocks Hide and Seek Painting Kit for Kids – Best Kit for Kids
- 3.10 10. Kipipol Rock Painting Kit – DIY Arts and Crafts for Kids – Best for Creative Elements
- 4 Buyer’s Guide : How to Find the Best Paint for Painting Rocks
- 5 7 Things You Need to Paint Rocks Like a Pro
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 7 Conclusion
Who Needs This Product?
The best paint for rocking paint is excellent for anyone with a crafty nature who can turn any ordinary piece of rock into a masterpiece. The best part about rocking painting is that you don’t necessarily have to be an artist to start rock painting.
It has been widely used for kids for school projects, professionals, for presents, or simply as a way to showcase your creative personality.
What Will Readers Get Ahead?
This guide goes in-depth to show ten proven best paints for rocks, a buyer’s guide, FAQ, and finally, some bonus tips that experts use to ace any rock painting project they take on. So, let’s dive right into it!
The Top 10 Best Paint For Rocks
1. Creativity for Kids Hide & Seek Rock Painting Kit – Best Overall
If you are on the lookout for a way to keep your kids busy with something creative and positive like painting, you have found the perfect kit.
This incredible rock painting kit can help them add imagination in endless fun and hide them for you to find and get the ever needed quality time with your kids.
The waterproof properties of the paint ensure they can effortlessly take the stones outside and play with their friends. The kit comes with ten rocks for painting, letting kids from beginner to intermediate level enjoy bonding and transfer their creative ideas into the rocks.
The tracking stickers can also be a perfect way to let beginners indulge in something as new as rock painting and express themselves through the power of their unique artwork.
The best thing about this kit is, the art supplies in the kit are nontoxic and are recommended for ages 6 to 96!
- Great for beginner to intermediate level people.
- The kit is armed with eight weather-resistant paints, tracking stickers, and a few waterproof rock transfers.
- The paint doesn’t require any additional glaze or sealant to improve convenience.
The vast number of rock transfer designs can make it easier for beginners to put their imagination into stones without spending hours on them. In addition, all of the rocks in the kit are nice and flat to make it easy to paint.
These paints have been raved to be used as gifts as it’s something anyone can enjoy and remember with every paint stroke.
Although you get to see mostly good reviews about the product, I think the bulky size of the rock could have been better considering the high price that you get to pay.
2. Paint Pens for Rock Painting, Stone, Ceramic, Glass, Wood – Best Versatile
The premium quality of these paints allows you to create all sorts of designs ranging from elegant to funky to resonate with your personality. In addition, it helps to bring your designs into life with vivid, water-based colors that are easy to paint and dries in an instant to elevate your experience.
With this, you can go for a durable and glossy finish on any sort of surface. Not just that, when I say “any surface,” I mean anything!
Whether it is fabric, canvas, rock, plastic, polymer clay, or wood, this paint has got your back! The thin pin is excellent for detailing to create a more professional look. The non-toxic and odor Artistro Acrylic paint also adheres to the EN-71 safety standards to prove confidence in the brand.
- It includes a number of interesting colors like yellow, blue, green, black, white, pink, red, gold, silver, orange, violet, and many more!
- The product is not edible; therefore, do not put it in your skin, eyes, or food.
- The water-based properties are excellent for beginners who need to carry out multiple layers in no time.
The paint is known for its extra-fine tips used to make intricate details and don’t bleed or run while you are waiting for it to dry. After shaking the product, you get to see a nice consistency that can easily cover large surface areas. Overall, it offers great value for money.
The red paint could have been better as it’s not a true red. Another thing that can make it difficult for you to work with this paint is that you can’t write or draw on the dried acrylic as it comes right off to ruin your artwork.
3. JR.WHITE Store Acrylic Paint Pens for Rocks – Best for Durability
The vibrant colors of JR. White paint is everything you need to create your ideal masterpiece on a piece of rock. It provides a way for you to draw or add embellishments to any craft that you make with these paint pens.
All the products are water-based and non-toxic, with no strong smell to make it a safe option for you. Whether you are giving to a 3-year-old or older, you can rest assured that this paint will only satisfy their creative needs.
Just like the one mentioned above, it can work on multiple surfaces. I tried giving a wooden plant a try, and it worked just perfectly! The great coverage can let the acrylic paint flow smoothly to help you bring out the best of the vivid colors and enjoy each minute of the process.
That’s not even the best part, if you are not satisfied with the product, the manufacturer allows you to get a 100% refund with no hassle whatsoever.
- The paint is extremely versatile to make sure you don’t have to break your bank a new one for every surface you may want to paint.
- The 2-3mm tip gives you enough flexibility to create any artwork with ease and get thorough with all the details.
- Contains a water-based acrylic ink for added convenience and ease of use.
After painting the rocks, I kept them outside. It’s been two weeks, and the paint is holding up the humidity and water pretty well.
The product comes with a wide range of variety in its colors, and the ease of use feature can make it an excellent choice for all the beginners out there.
Some people have reported getting dried-out paint pens from the brand.
4. Uni-posca PC-5M Paint Marker Pen – Medium Point – Best Recommended
The water-based pigment for these non-toxic and waterproof Paint marker pens can eliminate any restriction you may have to put your ideas into the stone. Regardless of which color you want to go for, unlike the alcohol-based pens, these marks don’t bleed to make it the best choice for everyone ranging from creative professionals to beginners.
The Uni-posca has been widely used by craft hobbyists for scrapbooking, surfers, interior design amateurs, and skaters who never want to limit their creativity because of the surface.
It has been manufactured by Mitsubishi Pencil, which covers all sorts of surfaces you can possibly think of. This factor also resonates with confidence for all the art enthusiasts out there.
- The water-based colors don’t bleed to make it easy to carry out your painting.
- As it is a pen, paint is all about scribbling your creativity onto the rock.
- The medium point helps cover considerably large surface areas.
The highly long-lasting color of these paint marker pens is recommended by most professionals who can never stop raving about the amazing benefits of Uni-Posca pens. It offers no leaks and only provides vibrant and opacity.
There aren’t many drawbacks to this amazing pens except for the fact that it offers a relatively limited number of colors
5. ARTIQO Paint pens for rock painting – Best for Variety
Say goodbye to all the leaks, bleed, or spills that can potentially ruin your entire artwork (what a disaster!) The ARTOQO’s Oil-based Medium point pen offers artist’s-grade quality paints that are water-resistant and comes with smooth strokes.
This outstanding 15 pack of permanent markers can give a bold to anything you may create, and let’s not forget how well it blends all the colors together. Ranging from metallic colors to solid colors for added benefits.
The best part, they are also throwing away a free eBook about Rock Painting that is filled with all the tips and tricks that you need to get started in the journey.
- The manufacturer offers a 100% refund if you find the product unsatisfactory.
- Offers vibrant colors to make your creations stand out from the rest.
- Water and fade resistance can preserve the masterpiece for years.
It is possible to use this product on almost any surface without worrying about the texture peeking through the paint once it has dried. With these, you can feel free to decorate non-porous and porous surfaces with no hassle at all.
The pink color fads in a matter of days which is inconvenient for many people who put in the effort to decorate rocks. Besides that, if you didn’t shake the pens well before painting, it can come out as a blob to ruin your artwork.
6. Chalky Crown Acrylic Paint Markers – Acrylic Paint Pens for Rock Painting – Best for Ease of Use
The bold and vivid colors of these Chalky Crown Acrylic Paint Markers – Acrylic Paint Pens for Rock Painting are excellent for a very durable opaque glossy finish to suit both light and dark surfaces with ease. Its reversible tips are perfect for creating thick and thin lines.
Not just for rock painting, the kit is one tool that you can count on to create all your DIY projects like custom mugs or a gift for your loved one.
- Comes with 12 markers with a wide of colors.
- The well-known brand can help prove its credibility.
- The reversible tip adds convenience to the markers.
- Recommended by artists.
You can leave the rock painted with Chalky Crown Acrylic Paint Markers in the rain and rest assured that won’t wash away for months! The brand has never disappointed a customer and has been known to pump out one of the best paint markers known in the market today.
The colors may dry out quite flat and try to make it harder for you to create a refreshing look. Other than that, you must make sure to tap the tip in a small container to get rid of the excess instead of spilling it on the rock artwork.
7. TOOLI-ART 30 Acrylic Paint Markers Paint Pens Set 0.7mm Extra Fine Tip Paint Marker
With 30 acrylic markets, these paint pens are beautifully assorted with a fine tip to offer the ever-needed flexibility to create anything you want. With both primary and secondary colors, you can also go a few shades lighter and enjoy the pastel collection to add variety to your artwork.
The superb quality of the highly pigmented ink gives a nice full coverage to amp up your rock decoration. That’s not it, it also offers the same countless benefits on any surface like paper, cardboard, pottery canvas, fabric, and porcelain.
It is engineered to retain its shape and avoid any sort of mess that painting creates, especially when you are an amateur. Thanks to its fast-drying properties, you can easily write customized messages on gifts to friends and family and enjoy its ever-lasting effects on just the rock but on your relationships too.
- The extra-fine tip can help outline and give a nice, bright look
- It is water-resistant to improve durability
- People belonging to all age groups can use it
- Comes with 30 colors shades
- The 0.7 mm tip can help fill up the details in your rock painting art
It doesn’t smear while you are sealing rocks and can offer quick drying for added convenience. This is one of the very few paints that have fewer negative reviews from its past customers. Another plus, the paint never runs while you are painting the rock.
You may need to vigorously shake it to get the pigment to deliver onto the stone. It can also be slightly more expensive than most of the other acrylic pens out there. Many people are also unhappy with the cakey finish it yields once you are done with it.
The double pack of the ArtShip Design 35 Premium Acrylic Paint Pens offers both 1 extra fine and 1 medium point acrylic paint pens to help you cover large surface areas and get into the details as well.
These 35 pens are long-lasting and can easily go on ceramic, rock, mug, wine, and glass surfaces. If you think that’s enough, wait till you find out how the smooth writing permanent paint can have nylon tips for better uniformity and volume to your general painting.
The non-toxic and odorless properties of the paint provide an environmentally friendly atmosphere to work in and make the clean-up effortless for you at the end. It conforms to ASTM D-4236 standards to ensure it is completely safe for you and your little ones.
- Among the large variety of metallic, fluorescent neon, black, glitter, and standard colors, you have the option to choose as many colors as you want for your project.
- Its different tip sizes can eliminate the need to count on other third-party tools to complete your rock painting.
- The product is kid-friendly.
The rich and long-lasting colors of these remarkable paints can glide on the surface of your rocks smoothly, all while making sure not to pose a risk to your health using its nontoxic and odor properties. It comes with clear tubes to help you check paint colors and make the overall process effortless.
Although all the colors offer excellent pigmentation, metallic colors, however, lack the right brightness to give a dull-like appearance. Another thing that many people didn’t like is how most of the paints are half full, which means you can run out of it in a few uses.
9. Rock Painting Kit for Kids Ages 4-8 Supplies for Painting Rocks Hide and Seek Painting Kit for Kids – Best Kit for Kids
Think of an ideal painting kit, and this specific kit is the first thing that comes to the minds of professionals. From 10 handpicked rocks, round wood, painting palette to 12 acrylic paints, this kit has everything our child may need to arrange a hide and seek session with her friends and family.
The 20 google eyes and 3 transfer stickers are a great way to add characters to your paintings and make something out of an ordinary piece of rock.
These stickers allow you to create cartoon images like aliens, frogs, ladybugs, owls, and chickens to let the creativity flow in its best form. With this, you have the power to let your creativity flow through better than anything else and ensure that the completely safe paint has been tested by a third-party laboratory to confirm its health and safety for all its users out there.
- It is suitable for children of all age groups to improve their motor skills and add variety to their STEM activities.
- Perfect for a group project.
- Certified materials can put mothers at ease.
It offers amazing value for money to help you invest in other decorative materials to further enhance the appearance of your rocks. It doesn’t take much longer to complete a project and work perfectly well to help you burn out the creative flair that you have been hiding for years.
It covers everything but a good quality sealer which can help to seal the paint and keep the paint for as long as you want. It also doesn’t come with many paintbrush varieties to give you the flexibility to customize designs and create something unique every time you pick up this paint to paint rocks.
10. Kipipol Rock Painting Kit – DIY Arts and Crafts for Kids – Best for Creative Elements
Here comes the rocking art kit that covers all the supplies kids may need to ace every rock painting project. It includes 1 smooth river rock, 2 brushes, and 12 waterproof vibrant colors to make sure you create incredible with ease.
This painting kit can be used effectively for educational purposes to improve your child’s motor function and hand-eye coordination to make them a quality rocking painting kit to express themselves and have a good time with their friends.
Once it has been dried, you can instantly write down your personalized message and enjoy the endless fun with them.
- The DIY kit is perfect for any age group set as it offers versatility.
- 5 googly eyes.
- 12 waterproof vibrant color paint tubs.
- 2 transfer stickers.
After the rocks have been painted, they are durable enough to ensure all the activities that your kids are likely to play with them. With just this single purchase, your kids can avail themselves of endless happiness and satisfaction.
The paint is difficult to use once it is dried out. This means you need to carry out all the artwork right before you keep it away for it to dry.
Buyer’s Guide : How to Find the Best Paint for Painting Rocks
Now that you are aware of the best paint for rocks, it’s time you find the one that perfectly meets your requirements.
It’s a good idea to keep a few things in mind when finding the best paints for rocks include;
Pens or Paints
I personally think pens are great for beginners as the application process is exactly like drawing with a regular marker. It eliminates most of the mistakes painters make and can easily work out to make the experience a lot more fun for you.
They offer a load of colors but can be difficult if you are looking for specific glitter or gloss paint finish.
They can also be slightly harder to use when it comes to covering large surface areas as they have a relatively smaller tip, to begin with. As for regular paints, the thick consistency can endure having an opaque and glossy finish.
Therefore, depending on which level you are in and what you are comfortable with, consider choosing the right form of rock painting.
Kit or Singles
If you currently have no art supplies and need to embark on a journey to rock painting, it’s always the best idea to go for kits as it contains everything from rocks, brushes, paint palette, or colors to make it a no-brainer for you. It actually costs a lot less than individually buying these art supplies.
However, if you are only going for paint marker pens or perhaps are already equipped with a few of the basic supplies, then single paints can be the right option for you.
Type of Paint
If you are painting from a brush, I’d recommend you grab some acrylic paints as they are #1 in convenience and durability. When you are browsing online, you will get to see a wide range of prices.
If you are starting out, it is best to go for basic colors at a relatively affordable price. Later, you can gradually build your knowledge and add more variety to your collection.
Thanks to the thick texture, they also never bleed or run during the painting process.
Here comes the problem that many people struggle with. A sealer is necessary if you are going for elements on your rock or even planning to sell them in the future.
It is possible to opt for brush-on sealers where you apply strokes of the sealer on top of the paint or the spray-on option. Regardless of the type, make sure they are water-resistant and non-yellowing to get the best results. You may also need to find your ideal finish like gloss, matte, or satin.
7 Things You Need to Paint Rocks Like a Pro
Whether you are using paint rocks for random acts of kindness, a school project or to sell rock painting is an exceptional activity for both adults and kids. Here are some of the tips that you can rely on to paint rocks like a pro.
- Always begin your painting on a smooth and fat rock. It is easy to paint any rock unless it has ridges. If you can’t find these types of rocks in nature, you can surely count on craft stores to do the trick for you.
- Another pre-painting technique is to always wash the rocks before painting. This ensures to never mess up your painting or have a weird texture once it’s dried.
- Avoid using oil-based paint markers or paints as they take hours or even days to dry and can run the risk of ruining your art through bleeding and running.
- If you ever mess up the painting, immediately wipe it with a damp cloth before it can leave a tint.
- Don’t know how to create straight lines and professional drawings? Almost no one is that experienced to make it in their first go, that’s why they depend on stencils to help you create steady and professional designs on the rocks. And no, it’s not cheating, especially for beginners!
- Always keep rock color in mind while you are painting this is because darker rocks can distort the colors of your paints. Therefore, it’s best to choose lighter colored stones or prime your rock with a white coat before starting your work.
- If you are going for multiple layers, remember to let the old layer completely dry as it can mess up all the layers of artwork.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What paint do you use on stones?
The best paint for stones definitely has to be something that is waterproof and acyclic. Ideally, two layers are just enough to make the color thick enough to last longer and have a vivid appearance. You can also varnish your final piece for added shine or a matte finish.
What are some of the mistakes people commit when selling their rocks?
- For sealing spray, most people hold the can too close to the rock which can add unnecessary liquid to the rock. Aim to keep it at least 8″ away from the rock
- Letting the stone dry in the sun
- Use heavy coats for sealing coats
- Only seal the top layer of the paint. You must seal it along the process
- Sealing rocks on a windy day
Do I need to prime rocks before painting them?
For priming, say make sure to wash the rocks before painting. This is because as they are porous, they can make your markers run out as soon as you directly apply to them. You can also paint them white before painting to make your final design pop out more.
Will acrylic paint wash off rocks?
If you have thoroughly cleaned the rocks before painting them, you can rest assured that they will for a long time. However, if the rock has dirt built up, it can come off as the dirt washes out from the rock.
All in all, getting the right paint is key to not only improving your art-making process but can yield excellent final results as well. If I had to boil down the review into the best paint for rocks, it definitely has to be created for Kids Hide & Seek Rock Painting Kit as it is packed with beginner-friendly properties to make it effortless for you to master your craft.